My chicken and waffle recipe might not be the most original, but my take on this is completely so! I love savory waffles, and this waffle is delicious with bbq'ed chicken wings. Let me show you how my husband and I work together to make this dish rock.
My husband will do a quick brine on the chicken thighs by soaking them in salted water for about 20 minutes. He heats up the grill while they are soaking and when the grill is ready, he pats the thighs until they are dry. He seasons them with salt and pepper and puts them skin side down on the grill. He likes to get a good char on the skin. He cooks them until the juices run clear, then he slathers on his favorite BBQ sauce and lets the thighs carmelize. He might also have a couple of ears of corn on the grill, too!
While all that is happening outside, I'm on the inside making waffles. I also make a simple syrup using equal amounts of sugar and water and 3-4 sliced jalapenos (no seeds). I cook it to the syrup stage and then cool. I'll lace this syrup over the chicken at the end.
Jalapeno Pumpkin Waffles
- 1 c pancake mix
- 1/2 c cornmeal
- 1/2 c canned pumpkin (puree)
- 2 T finely diced jalapeno, no seeds
- 1 scant cup of water
- 2 T canola oil
- Cooking spray
Mix together the pancake mix, water, oil and pumpkin until mixed but still lumpy. Fold in the jalapenos.
Heat up the waffle maker. Spray with cooking spray. Place 1/3 c of mixture into the waffle maker, close lid, wait til light turns green and remove. Stack on plate, cover with dish towel to preserve heat and absorb moisture.
To serve with BBQ chicken thighs: Plate waffle. Place chicken on top. Drizzle with jalapeno simple syrup.
Powered by Recipage
I like to serve this with a jalepeno syrup. It is so easy to make. Boil 1 c of white sugar with 1 c water. Add in 2 sliced jalapenos (I remove the seeds). Continue to cook until thickened, about 12 minutes. Remove jalapenos and save. These are delightful on top of burgers or this chicken dish! Pour syrup into a jar and let cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Lemon Waffles by From Gate to Plate
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida's Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- “Elvis Waffles” Peanut Butter Bacon with Banana by Dash of Evans
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Iced Gluten Free Waffle Cookies by What The Fork Food Blog
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebabs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Eggs Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Falafel Waffles by Helpful Homemade
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.