To make your own pumpkin puree, it is really quite simple and not really a recipe as much as it is steps.
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Destem your pumpkin.
3. Clean any dirt off your pumpkin.
4. Cut your pumpkin in quarters.
5. Grease a bar pan with about 2 T vegetable oil.
6. Place pumpkin quarters cut side down.
7. Roast for 15 minutes. Check for doneness. Pumpkin shell will be soft and will indent with slight pressure.
8. Continue to roast until you get the correct doneness.
9. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes.
10. Using an ice scream scoop, scoop away seeds and strings, then scoop pulp into a separate bowl.
11. Pour pulp into a food processor. Process until smooth.
12. Measure 1 cup into ziplock baggies and freeze.
13. Remove from freezer 1 hour before using.
That's it. The processed pumpkin looks smooth as silk. It will be lighter in color and not as thick.
To use, replace equal measures of canned pumpkin puree with homemade pumpkin puree. Your pies will be lighter in color, as the puree is lighter. So easy, and when you tell your family the pie is made from scratch, you will really mean it!