My family was fortunate to be in Hawaii during Thanksgiving in 2012. We loved Hawaii and will be always looking for ways to get back there. While we were there, we tried every local food we could find, and one of our favorites was Loco Moco.
What is a Loco Moco? That's the same question we had! It is simply white sticky rice with a hamburger patty on top, with a fried egg on top of that, covered with brown gravy. What? You don't think that is tropical?
I can tell you that when we make it at home, I can see myself sitting in the restaurant in the open air, alongside a white sand beach, with salty breezes blowing across my face! We had this several times, as different restaurants have different versions that they are famous for. One even includes Spam!
So what makes this one midwestern? For one, I have lightened up all the ingredients with the exception of the egg. I use cauliflower rice instead of sticky rice, a ground turkey burger, a fried egg, and then vegetarian brown gravy. It is a delicious combination of tastes and I hope you give it a try!
Midwest Loco Moco
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 t steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 t salt, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 T butter
- 2 T onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T flour
- 2 T lite soy sauce
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 T olive oil
Remove the leaves from the cauliflower head, remove the white core. Divide into flowerettes. Process in a food processor until the cauliflower resembles rice. Gently heat 1 T olive oil in a medium skillet, add cauliflower. Cover and cook 4-6 minutes, until your desired doneness. Remove from heat.
Saute onions and garlic in butter over medium high heat. Reduce heat, make a roux by adding the flour a little at a time, stir continuously to avoid lumps. While stirring, add soy sauce and vegetable broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until gravy has reached the desired thickness. Set aside.
Mix ground turkey gently with the steak seasoning. Form two patties with the turkey meat. Fry in a medium skillet with 1 T olive oil until desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
Fry two eggs to your desired doneness. A sunny side up egg is perfect for this meal.
To assemble: scoop a cup of caulirice onto plate, pat to create a flat surface. Place turkey burger on top. Pour brown gravy over the burger, and then top with one of the fried eggs. Repeat for the second serving.
You will have some caulirice left over. This is delicious for five days in the refrigerator.
Powered by Recipage
Tidbits and Pupus
- Chicken and Lemongrass Sugarcane Skewers by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Coconut crusted Tofu with Spicy Mango Cucumber Topping by Soni's Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Tenders with a Caramelized Pineapple Dipping Sauce by From Gate to Plate
- Larp (Laos chicken salad) by Caroline's Cooking
- Oven Baked Tostones by Recipe for Perfection
- Midwest Style Loco Moco by Our Good Life
- Tropical Sunrise Fruit Salad with Coconut Chia Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Caribbean Black Beans with Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cilantro Margarita by An Appealing Plan
- Coconut and Orange Italian Soda by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Coconut Mojito by Flour On My Face
- Hawaiian Margarita by Peaceful Cooking
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lava Flow by Nosh My Way
- Bali Spicy Grilled Fish - Ikan Bakar Jimbaran by Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Coconut Chicken with Mango Salsa over Sweet Potato Puree by annaDishes
- Grilled Shrimp Roll with Mango and Papaya by Food Done Light
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Kalua Pig by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Barbecued Pork Chops by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Mango Lime Fajitas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mojo Pork Bowl with Cauliflower Rice by Casa de Crews
- Pineapple Pork by Basic N Delicious
- Shrimp Catibías by The Petit Gourmet
- Shrimp Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Tropical Chicken Burgers by Momma's Meals
- Tropical Chicken Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Whole Fish with a Ginger-Tamarind Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Coconut Mounds Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coconut Sunshine Cake by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Double Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Majarete Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mini Mango Cheesecakes by The Freshman Cook
- Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin-Coconut Biscotti by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Twist Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream by Simply Healthy Family
- Tropical Fruit Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Tropical Layered Poke Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Ube Panna Cotta by The Joyful Foodie
- Whole Wheat Mango Coconut Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- The Best Wines to Pair with Tropical Food #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog